Icefall



Today’s post is a little bit different as it is sort of a mini book review. I was first made aware of 'Icefall' by Alex Staniforth when my Dad, sister Annabel and brother Scott (age 9 at the time) went to a book signing in our village. I was away at university and had a nice conversation with Scott on the phone who was very excited about having met a real-life adventurer and author. This was quite surreal as Alex was in the year above me at school, a peer, somebody who lives in my village. I was aware of Alex’s adventures and expeditions but I didn’t know his full story.

I swiped away Annabel’s copy (sorry Annabel) and started reading. I found it strange to read about events in Alex’s school life that I can remember actually happening. In 'Icefall' he addresses the challenges he faced, some of which I can remember, him speeding past the school bus on his bike as I later learnt to escape bullying and taunting. Most days he beat the bus to school, I always found that pretty amazing. I don’t want to spoil the story so I won’t go into too much detail but Alex has gone on from school life to become an adversity adventurer. Two trips to Everest, multiple challenges that I can’t even begin to explain make for a very exciting and engaging read for any age.

Reading about Alex’s achievements has shown me what we are capable of as human beings. If we want to progress and develop as individuals we have to set ourselves challenges. If we don’t meet obstacles, find things difficult, feel out of our comfort zone then we won’t reach our goals. You can apply this to anything in life, learning a new skill, getting a new job, striving to become more active. You should never be embarrassed to struggle or ask for help because if you didn’t struggle then you wouldn’t make progress, if that makes sense?

Something I hear a lot is people saying that they don’t want to do certain things in the gym by themselves because they are worried by what people might think of them, looking silly or doing it wrong. People tell me that they would never dare go for a run on the streets because of people laughing at them or looking at them. Yes, there are a tiny number of people out there who might judge you, make comments at you and this has happened to me but you know what? I just don’t care because I managed to run a half marathon and I managed to deadlift 70kg. I imagine that Alex wondered what people would think of him when he set out to achieve his goals but did he care enough about what they thought to just forget Everest? No. If Alex can get to Everest then you can definitely get yourself outside for a walk, a run, a bike ride, get to a high ropes course, go climbing, go for a swim and reach your goal to become healthier, fitter and happy. You don’t have to aim for Everest, whatever your goal is, as long as it challenges you then it is more than good enough.

On that note, if you are looking for a good read and you want something to boost your confidence and give you some motivation then 'Icefall' is your answer.
Buy 'Icefall'

Alex's Website

Comments

Popular Posts