Mental Health First Aid Course Review



I have something a little bit different for you today. I put a poll up on my Instagram to ask if people would be interested in an overview of the Mental Health First Aid day course that I attended earlier this month and the answer was a resounding yes.

I am lucky to be given lots of opportunities as an associate member of staff at Leeds Beckett University. When the email arrived in my inbox that there was going to be a Mental Health First Aid course running for any staff who wanted to attend, I replied asking that even though I wasn’t an academic advisor and I don’t teach anyone, maybe, please would I be able to attend? I was really intrigued as to what mental health first aid actually meant and thought that it was really positive that the university was offering such an opportunity.

On the day of the course I was a little bit nervous, what had I signed up for? We started the day off by getting to know the others on the course, making a group contract to be respectful, non-judgemental, to listen, not to be afraid to ask ‘silly’ questions and to be present i.e. not on our emails/phones. We discussed what mental health actually means, what it means to us and how to manage our own mental health including stress (a big one in the academic world). However, I felt no pressure to share my own experiences if I didn’t want to. From there, the day progressed by looking at different mental health conditions, breaking down what each condition means for somebody struggling, what the symptoms are and hearing examples of experiences and situations provided by Chris who delivered the course. I found the breaking down of stigmas and misconceptions really refreshing. As a group we were able to talk openly and honestly about any preconceived ideas we had on certain conditions without feeling foolish or uneducated. We learnt how to use the Mental Health First Aid England ‘Action Plan’ to best help others – broken down into steps including approach, listen and communicate, give support and information, encourage appropriate professional help and encourage other supports.

Although it was a day filled with a lot of information and serious thinking, it was enjoyable and well balanced. Even though we left feeling tired, we felt a little bit lighter, equipped with tools and knowledge on how best to help ourselves, students and colleagues facing mental health challenges. Mental health is on the radar of every university in the country but there are still waiting lists and limited resources. Giving staff the opportunity to better educate themselves about mental health can only be a step in the right direction, increasing confidence and all round well-being. Mental Health First Aid England also works with companies to educate in the workplace and professional environment. This is not an advert for MHFA England, but a strong recommendation to any employer or manager to start thinking seriously about what resources and tools they have in place for their staff, and to consider investing in education on mental health. Or, to employees to ask management to improve mental health support in the workplace. 


Now I have a certificate up in my office that says I am a Mental Health First Aid Champion (which I admit sounds somewhat cheesy) but I like the concept! I'm not a qualified mental health professional, but I do have a little more awareness and understanding on how to support better mental health. 

A special thanks to Chris who delivered our course and the Carnegie School of Sport for giving me the opportunity to attend. 

Em 
Instagram: @active.em.blog
Twitter: @active_em_blog 

Comments

  1. Nice article. First aid is really important especially for children. We may never know when will emergency comes that is why it is always better to be prepared. click here tolearn more

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts